Monday, January 10, 2011

Musings On Boardwalk Empire

I'm nine episodes into Boardwalk Empire, having watched eight episodes in the last two days alone. Yes, I know, I'm a little behind, but I like to take my time with things that seem worth it. Just ask your mother... she knows.

Anyway, I like the show a lot and here are my favorite characters so far:

Michael Shannon really shines as Agent Nelson Van Alden; his character is quite compelling. He also gets points for being the weirdest looking guy on a television show that also stars Steve Buscemi—no small feat, for sure. He also looks a whole lot like the Bond villain Jaws. If they ever remake Moonraker, Shannon has that shit on lock.


Steve Friggin' Buscemi is crime boss Nucky Thompson. I've already expressed my feelings about the man (he's the best!) so it would be redundant to re-sing his praises. But really, His praises should be sung at any feasible opportunity. 

♫ ...Praaaise thee Busceeemi... ♫

I was worried about those minor characters from The Sopranos not having jobs after the series ended, but a whole bunch of 'em (I've counted 5) have found employment, probably due to Boardwalk creator Terence Winter, who had a tiny role as Writer/Producer/Director on that other landmark show set in Jersey. Boy, it's really who you know these days, am I right?

Paz de la Huerta sure likes getting naked a lot. In fact, I don't think she's ever done a photo shoot where she didn't at least get topless. She's to all of her clothes what Matthew McConaughey is to his shirts. That reference seems kinda dated, so I'll distract you with more links of Paz where she's naked. Prohibition nudity! [links NSFW, duh]

Michael Pitt is Jimmy Darmody, an ambitious gangster and WWI vet, but really he's just playing the part of Arcade Fire's Win Butler, whose Dust Bowl wardrobe is finally put into perspective. Pitt is really stacking up rock star roles, first pseudo-Cobain, now Butler... what's next? I think he's a shoe-in for the Kings of Leon dude. They all have a thing for suspenders.


Anyway, Boardwalk Empire is an awesome show, and I can't wait to finish the first season (probably by tomorrow.SNOW DAY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...