Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Indie Rock Guitar Hero Showdown: Mascis, Martsch or Malkmus?

Have you ever wondered who would win in a three-way guitar-lick-off between J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Doug Martsch (Built To Spill) and Stephen Malkmus (Pavement, SM & the Jicks)?

I sure have. I think about it daily. Maybe hourly. Maybe even bi-hourly.

Some have told me that this is a fruitless, inconsequential pursuit and even an outright waste of time.

And perhaps they're right, but do they have to be such jerks about it?

I mean, my inquiry is simply born out of my desire to witness the clash of these indie-rock guitar titans live and in person. It would be quite the revelation.

Sadly, I am left to simply speculate on the outcome, as this musical duel is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Not to mention that the awesomeness ramifications of such an event have yet to be quantified by modern science, and could very well prove catastrophic to us mere mortals.

For now, all I can do is listen to the music that has been handed down to me and sit in wonderment, like a doe-eyed, bastard child of destiny, about the possibilities of who should be crowned Indie-Rock Guitar King.

Join me, won't you please:

By the way, if all you're getting from the player above is 30 second clips, do yourself a favor and get an imeem account. It's free and then you'll be able to listen to whole tracks. What have you got to lose?

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...